[TYPES] Two-tier reviewing process

Stephan Zdancewic stevez at cis.upenn.edu
Fri Jan 29 03:01:11 EST 2010

Following up on Benjamin's comments about "X" reviews.  There are two
different axes that are important when understanding a review.  One is
the reviewer's  *expertise* in the subject of the paper.  Another is the
reviewer's *confidence* in his or her assessment carried out in the
review.  Using only one score to indicate both leads to some confusion,
since the two properties get conflated.  As Benjamin suggests, I often
find myself wanting to indicate confidence when I'm not an expert, and
sometimes, even though I'm an expert in terms of the related work, I
still don't have high confidence in my review (perhaps because it's a
really intricate paper).

--Steve