[TYPES] the possibly uselessness of semantics, was -- The type/object distinction and possible synthesis of OOP and imperative programming languages

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 18:00:16 EDT 2013

> It was implied that the designers of C++ are not using the abstract
> mathematical tools provided by research, but that simply isn't true.
>  Making tractable extensions to C++'s generic programming capabilities
> requires solid theory and the guys down the hall from me here at Texas A&M
> simply blow my mind with the kinds of things they are working on.

Although the C++ folks have managed to create a mini Turing Machine in
the preprocessing/generic language of C++, it should not be equated to
the theoretical realm of lambda calculus, it is like conflating the
domain of C||, the complex numbers, with R|| the domain of the real.
The fact that one shares some similarities doesn't imply that they can
be placed in the same group together.
Tacoma, Washington