[TYPES] Types in distributed systems

Frank Pfenning fp at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Aug 29 09:49:40 EDT 2014

Session types were invented to address well-typed communication
between processes.   I believe Honda's CONCUR 1993 paper "Types for Dyadic
Interaction" started this line of development, with much subsequent
work I will not try to review, alongside other foundational work on
directly assigning typed to versions of Milner's pi-calculus.

More recently, it was discovered that session types arise from a
Curry-Howard interpretation of linear logic, where linear propositions
correspond to session types, sequent proofs correspond to processes,
and cut reduction corresponds to communication.  In this kind of
system, deadlock and race freedom are guaranteed by typing.
See Caires & Pf. (CONCUR 2010) for a pure calculus, and Toninho et al.
(ESOP 2013) for a full functional language with an encapsulation
of session-typed concurrency in a monad-like construct.

There is a natural notion of subtyping that arises in the system if
you have labeled forms of internal and external choice.  This permits
some forms of backward-compatible upgrades of services, but may
not address everything you had in mind.

  - Frank

--
Frank Pfenning, Professor and Head