[TYPES] Book on Category Theory

Gabriel Scherer gabriel.scherer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 04:33:33 EDT 2017

You could have a look at Barr and Wells' "Category Theory for Computing
Science", 1998, which is available online:

  http://www.math.mcgill.ca/triples/Barr-Wells-ctcs.pdf

I think it strikes a reasonable balance for computer science students: the
mathematical examples that it uses are not too advanced, and it also uses
examples from programming language to draw intuition. Note that it was
written before some of the recent popularization of category theory for
programming languages, so some of the vocabulary is different. Monads are
called Triples, and their application to modeling effects is not discussed.