[TYPES] I: On Dependent types and Subtyping's consistency

Frank Pfenning fp at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Dec 16 15:33:39 EST 2017

Below are some additional references, that include not only subtyping and
dependent types, but also intersection types (which, in my opinion, are
important whenever subtyping is in play).  There are also conference papers
about each of these lines of research, but by necessity they tend to be
less tutorial.

Joshua Dunfield, A Unified System of Type Refinements
<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~joshuad/papers/thesis/>, PhD Thesis, CMU, August
2007.

William Lovas, Refinement Types for Logical Frameworks
<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~wlovas/papers/wjl-thesis-final.pdf>, PhD Thesis,
CMU, September 2010.

Joshua combines subtyping, intersection, union, and dependent types in a
single language.  There is also an implementation of an ML subset called
Stardust (not sure about its current status).  Soundness here is not at all
obvious; there are some traps that must be avoided.  In this regard, see
also Davies & Pfenning, ICFP 2000.

William combines pure dependent types and intersection types and derives
from that a principled notion of subtyping appropriate for a logical
framework.  Here, the key is to respect the open-endedness of logical
framework specifications.

  - Frank

--
Frank Pfenning, Professor and Head