[TYPES] Progress + Preservation = Evaluation

Pierre Courtieu pierre.courtieu at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 16:57:19 EDT 2018

Hi,

I think this is now well known as the "fuel" pattern. Ideally n is
very big and computed lazily.

I am not aware of a paper specifically about this trick, it is there
as a very useful folklore I guess.

Note however that Bertot Balaa presented a more "complete" version of
this by refining this trick: the function itself is defined by means
of a proof that there exists a number N of iterations such that any
greater number would give the same result. i.e. that N is a sufficient
fuel to reach the fixpoint. This mechanism is used in the current
implementation of the "Function" command in coq (when given a non
structurally recursive function).

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.28.601&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Best,
Pierre