[TYPES] Progress + Preservation = Evaluation

Philip Wadler wadler at inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri Jul 6 17:18:02 EDT 2018

Thanks, Pierre and Eelco. I'm well aware of "fuel" as folklore. For
instance, I've heard Conor McBride describe fuel as an argument that,
despite the guarantee that all programs terminate, Agda can effectively
encode every recursive function. But that is different from my question;
please see my second, clarifying email. I had a look at the three
references cited, and I don't believe they exploit constructive proofs of
progress and preservation to define an evaluator. Cheers, -- P

.   \ Philip Wadler, Professor of Theoretical Computer Science,
.   /\ School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
.  /  \ and Senior Research Fellow, IOHK
. http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/wadler/

Too brief? Here's why: http://www.emailcharter.org/