[TYPES] What exactly should we call syntax-directed inference rules?

Frank Pfenning fp at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Jun 17 09:37:20 EDT 2019

I am not a historian, but the classic paper I would cite is Gentzen's 1935
paper that introduced both natural deduction and the sequent calculus.
Cut-free sequent proofs have the subformula property and are therefore
analytic, although I don't think that Gentzen actually used the term.
In natural deduction, I think Prawitz 1965 was the first one to explicitly
characterizes the normal forms (which are the analytic natural deductions).

The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (*The Analytic/Synthetic
Distinction* <https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/analytic-synthetic/>)
credits Kant 1781 who defines the term and elaborates.  Martin-Löf 1994
elaborates on what this should mean in type theory in his paper
*Analytic and Synthetic Judgements in Type Theory
<https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-94-011-0834-8_5>.*

  - Frank