[TYPES] seeking stupid LaTeX tricks for laying out sets of typing rules

Norman Ramsey nr at cs.tufts.edu
Wed Nov 27 16:38:27 EST 2019

Dear Colleagues,

I'm looking for advice on preparing figures full of typing rules.
What I'd like is to create a figure that has a boxed form of judgment
in the top left, then collects all the rules that can prove judgments
of the boxed form.

At present, I'm using Didier Rémy's mathpartir package.
The inference rules are nice and readable, and I can collect them
easily enough in a `mathpar` environment.  But the boxed judgment is
placed as if it were just another rule, where it really ought to be in
the upper left corner (or some other location which can indicate that
it classifies all the rules).  I'm sure there must be a trick, but I
haven't yet discovered it.

How are you typesetting collections of inference rules?

Norman