[TYPES] seeking stupid LaTeX tricks for laying out sets of typing rules

Elias Castegren eliasca at kth.se
Thu Nov 28 03:07:34 EST 2019

Hi!

Even though it also has capabilities for generating theorem prover code,
I mainly use Ott [1] for writing and generating nice-looking type rules
in LaTeX. Together with Jesse Tov’s ottalt package, it gives me rules which
are as pretty as I could hope for, and in the style that you’re asking for (I think
it is using mathpartir under the hood). Having syntax and grammar checking to
make sure that you’re not making silly mistakes is a nice bonus. I still typeset
grammars by hand though, as the ones produced by Ott tend to be a bit too
whitespace hungry.

If you don’t want to introduce an external tool to your workflow, you could look
at the code that Ott (with ottalt) generates and borrow the tricks you need.

Cheers

/Elias

[1] https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~pes20/ott/