[TYPES] seeking stupid LaTeX tricks for laying out sets of typing rules

Gabriel Scherer gabriel.scherer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 03:11:13 EST 2019

My approach is to put the judgment-declaration box on its own line, where
it ends up centered. With mathpartir (
http://cristal.inria.fr/~remy/latex/mathpartir.html ), a blank line acts as
a "normal separation" between elements (which are fit automatically on
lines), while \\ forces a break, so I would use

\begin{mathpar}
  \fbox{judgment1}~\text{explanation}
  \\
  rule1

  rule2

  rule3
\\
  \fbox{judgment2}~text{explanation}
  \\
  rule1

  rule2
  [...]
\end{mathpar}

On some occasions where I wanted to left-align or right-align an object on
a mathpar line, I have used unbreakable spaces as "fake" elements to
consume space (note: \and is equivalent ot a newline):

\\
  left-aligned object

  ~\and~\and~\and~\and~

  right-aligned object
\\

It's a very ugly hack, and it works reasonably well.