[TYPES] In a letter to the US White House,

selinger at mathstat.dal.ca selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Sun Dec 22 01:37:53 EST 2019

I was recently invited to the editorial board of a new ACM journal. I
refused to become an editor, on the grounds that the journal is not
open access.

I feel that as editors, we volunteer our time, and I have decided to
do so only for journals that are truly open access.  And by "open
access", I do not mean some "gold" model based on author charges
(currently $1300-$1700 per ACM journal article, see
https://www.acm.org/publications/openaccess). I mean journals that are
free for both authors and readers.

There are already many such journals, and they are usually
community-run. Examples include Logical Methods in Computer Science
(https://lmcs.episciences.org/), Compositionality
(https://www.compositionality-journal.org/), and Quantum
(https://quantum-journal.org/). There is relatively little in the way
of interested groups of individuals starting new such journals.

I think the best way to get rid of unreasonable publishing models is
not to participate in them.

-- Peter