[TYPES] In a letter to the US White House, ACM opposes free distribution of peer-reviewed journal articles

Derek Dreyer dreyer at mpi-sws.org
Sun Dec 22 17:48:25 EST 2019

> Further, ACM does many positive things beyond archiving articles.

According to Crista Lopes on Twitter (I'm not sure if she's on this list):

"I studied @TheOfficialACM’s finances a few years ago, when I was
Treasurer of SIGPLAN. As far as I can tell, the ACM DL paywall is a
small business whose revenue serves entirely to pay the staff who
works for it — sales and support ppl. Very little of it flows
elsewhere...  As far as I can tell, the ACM could operate based only
on conferences’ revenue, and ditch the paywall entirely, and
everything good would still happen — staff and all. But that would
mean getting rid of the DL staff. Whose salaries come [from] the DL
paywall."

Derek