[TYPES] In a letter to the US White House, ACM opposes free distribution of peer-reviewed journal articles

Cristina Videira Lopes lopes at uci.edu
Sun Dec 22 18:19:44 EST 2019

Hi,

I'm not on that list. And yes, I studied it. My conclusion at the time
was that the little money that the DL generates, that is not to pay the
sales and support staff who works for the DL, is for supporting the
publication of journals, which don't have revenue. This was a ballpark,
reverse engineering assessment by looking at the ACM tax returns and the
letter that John White sent us explaining the publication costs.

Unfortunately, the DL ties up the conference papers (and now the PACM
papers) with the ACM journals. The costs of the former are almost 100%
covered by conference registration fees. And yet, they get hidden behind
the paywall, because the ACM sells the DL-as-product to the libraries,
and the more content, the more valuable it is. The ACM would have a very
weak product if it sold only the journals.

Best,
Crista

--
Cristina Videira Lopes