[TYPES] In a letter to the US White House,

Gabriel Scherer gabriel.scherer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 10:28:35 EST 2019

I strongly agree with Peter: the most effective action against unreasonable
publishing models is to not participate in them. We are very fortunate to
work in a community where many sensible Open Access venues exist, so that
this decision comes at little to no personal cost.

I created a webpage to document this policy (tentatively named "Keeping my
work Open"). To evaluate the impact on my work since I started applying it
in 2017, I listed venues to which I did or did not participate due to the
policy.

  http://gasche.info/open_access.html

The summary is that this principle is not limiting: most venues in
Programming Languages research have sensible policies (I include PACMPL,
thanks to the generous support of SIGPLAN to fund APCs, and ETAPS since
2018), and that the Closed Access venues I encountered had fairly direct
replacements in all cases.