[TYPES] online conferences should be free (was: global debriefing over our virtual experience of conferences)

Henning Basold h.basold at liacs.leidenuniv.nl
Mon Aug 24 02:48:59 EDT 2020

On 24/08/2020 02:14, Nicolai Kraus wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 8:23 PM Henning Basold
> <h.basold at liacs.leidenuniv.nl <mailto:h.basold at liacs.leidenuniv.nl>> wrote:
>
>     I would like to add another way of covering costs that is often used
>     in communal places: Anyone gives whatever they can, which may be
>     nothing. This assumes of course some fairness and some transparency
>     about the costs.
>

> "Pay what you want/can" is in many situations a nice model and I'm
> confident that transparency/fairness wouldn't be an issue in this
> community. But the problem is that conference fees are in most cases
> paid from grants and not privately. Grant holders have some
> responsibility to spend their budget in a way that benefits the funded
> project most, and in many cases, it's essentially taxpayers' money.
> Asking people to be generous with essentially public money would give
> rise to all sorts of ethical problems and actual questions.
> As an example, I've read in the rules of a funding agency that you can't
> pay for CO2 offset if that's a voluntary option when you buy your flight
> ticket. I first thought that this was an unfortunate rule, but it
> actually makes sense: This public money was allocated to research. Had
> the government (or whoever is responsible) thought that the money was
> better spent on CO2 reduction, then they could have done that instead.
> As a grant holder, one just isn't entitled to spend the money on
> environmental protection (even if that might benefit the public more
> than the actual research project).
> I guess it's debatable, but I don't think "pay what you want" works
> here. However, it does work to say "registration is €200, but you can
> also choose free registration if you don't have a grant/access to travel
> budget or are in a similar situation; choose at your discretion."

This is indeed an issue with our funding model and the potential ethical
issues could be resolved, if there was any political will; but let us
leave this for another discussion. I think the model could be refined a
bit from pay all or nothing to a pay scale, with the option of no
payment, that may be linked with some criteria that allow the registrant
to justify the selection to their funding agency. I think, we could, as
a community, come up with some standard criteria that can employed by
event organisers.

>     The problem with the LICS model is that it also prevents publication
>     for some people, if they cannot collaborate with someone who has money.
>

> Agreed, but this is not in any way a new problem. I think the LICS model
> was very reasonable and pragmatic given the circumstances. That doesn't
> mean that we can't come up with an even better solution if we discuss
> this as a community.

Certainly not, and it has become ever more visible with paid open
access, where publishers asked for astronomical fees. And yes, I think
we can, and need to, come up with better solutions.

>     That things with a higher price are perceived to be to of higher
>     quality is unfortunately true. But do we have to reproduce this kind
>     of marketing within our scientific community?
>

> I don't think "reproduce" is the right word, it's an unfortunate reality
> which we can take into account. Or we can choose to ignore this reality
> and hope that it works. I think it could work.

I use the word "reproduce" purposefully because this kind of reality
descends merely from our society and is not an absolute truth. Many
scientists do value free publications platforms very highly, and often
more so than certain paid journals. The key here is the community
network that surrounds such a platform. It is, therefore, not the
scientific community that is an issue but whatever institutions at whose
grace they are for positions, pay cheques, funding etc. Fortunately,
there are changes happening, like the DORA agreement
(https://sfdora.org/). Changing the mindset from "quality must be
expensive" to other criteria will also contribute to changing other
issue, like the peer reviewing process at competitive conferences and
the issue of competition and patriarchy itself, which have been
discussed previously in this thread.

>     Lastly, I would like to also mention the excellent journal LMCS
>     (logical methods in CS), which has a very strong board and rolling
>     deadlines. This journal implements many of the suggestions already
>     successfully.
>

> Thanks for this comment! There will also be a public discussion on the
> publication culture in our communities (I've forwarded the invitation to
> the panel debate to this mailing list earlier today).

I'm looking forward to this discussion, and I hope that we can find, as
a community, solutions to pressing issues and move forward.

Best,
Henning