[TYPES] online conferences should be free

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Aug 24 09:03:04 EDT 2020

Henning Basold [2020-08-24 08:48:59] wrote:
> I use the word "reproduce" purposefully because this kind of reality
> descends merely from our society and is not an absolute truth.

I believe the issue here is a bit different: it's the fact that if you
pay less, you have less of an investment and that influences your
behavior unconsciously.  It does not just come from society but is much
more ingrained in humans.  I don't think we can realistically hope to
avoid that effect on the premise that we're rational beings.

BTW, the effect doesn't come only from money.  It also comes for example
from the investment (e.g. in time taken to organize the trip, ...) that
comes with traveling to the conference.

        Stefan