[TYPES] online conferences should be free

Nicolai Kraus nicolai.kraus at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 12:18:17 EDT 2020

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 2:25 PM Henning Basold <h.basold at liacs.leidenuniv.nl>
wrote:

> All I objected to is that this investment has to come
> in form of monetary contributions and that this was presented as
> unavoidable reality. Instead, an investment can come, as you rightly
> say, in the form of time or community ties.

If one watches all pre-recorded talks (assuming something like at LICS -
pre-recorded talks instead of live talks), one is more likely to
participate actively. But this just shifts the problem, so I'm not sure if
it helps in any way. At the same time, one can maybe from anonymous
questionnaires or even simple view counts predict how well-prepared
participants are and how seriously they will take the conference. I don't
know whether that information could be used to improve the conference.
Nicolai