[TYPES] online conferences should be free

Kristina Sojakova sojakova.kristina at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 08:47:17 EDT 2020

Dear all,

Since Nicolai's post brought up pre-recorded talks:I found it extremely
difficult to allocate enough time *prior* to the actual conference to
watch almost any of the talks I was interested in - and there were about
10 I really wanted to see. Attending live talks (whether in person or
online) during the conference days when the participation is the sole
focus is very different from having to watch the talks beforehand; the
latter essentially amounts to having a bunch of homework assigned.

In the weeks prior to LICS I was relocating between continents and did
not have time to watch any talks except one. This meant I was playing
catch-up the entire time and was not able to get anything meaningful out
of the conference itself. Hence I would most likely choose not to
participate in this format again, regardless of how much it cost (or
didn't). It is entirely possible however that I am in the minority and
most participants were much better prepared.

Best,

Kristina