[TYPES] online conferences should be free

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Tue Aug 25 18:37:32 EDT 2020

Gabriel Scherer [2020-08-25 22:07:50] wrote:
> However, I think that this discussion on engagement is somewhat of a
> distraction.  Having conference where people participate actively is
> certainly a good thing, it is *nice*.  But sharing our knowledge and results
> in the most open way possible is *a core tenet of our duty as researchers*.

Partly, yes, but then journals would be all we need and we could ditch
conferences, right?  Despite appearances I'm not actually arguing
against making conferences free, it's just that we need to take into
account some of the effects on us imperfect humans.

BTW, while watching ICFP, somewhat pleased with Clowdr [ for
a first run of the software, I'm really pleased ] but annoyed at
some aspects [ besides the need to run proprietary code for Zoom ] such
as the fact that I can't find a recording of the TyDe talks I missed...

..."I had a dream" of an ACM library where each paper would link not
just to the PDF but also to the corresponding talk(s?) [ which we could
watch without having to get Google involved because it would be hosted
on, say, a Peertube instance run by the ACM ], and also to a recording
of the Q&A session(s), as well as some way to post
questions/answers/comments/annotations, moderated by ourselves (along
a model similar to Stackexchange, maybe).

In this dream, I'm not sure what conferences would look like, but maybe
they would tie the live Q&A sessions less tightly to the talks (so you
can watch the talks that entice you at your own rhythm but still get to
ask questions).

        Stefan