[TYPES] online conferences should be free (was: global debriefing over our virtual experience of conferences)

Gabriel Scherer gabriel.scherer at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 12:23:26 EDT 2020

Dear Jens Palsberg (and types-list),

In my previous email, I asked for budget summaries for past online SIGPLAN
conferences (PLDI and ICFP, for example; more data is always welcome).
Could SIGPLAN do it?

One inspiring example of financial transparency would be Andreas Zeller's
budget summary for the ISSTA'16 conference (organized by SIGSOFT):

https://andreas-zeller.info/2018/02/01/where-your-conference-fees-go-to.html

On the SIGPLAN blog you mentioned costs and fees as the "elephant in the
room" ( https://blog.sigplan.org/2020/09/15/virtual-conferences-and-sigplan/
). We may have different perspectives looking at different parts of the
elephant; but the "blind men and an elephant" parable relies on the blind
men openly sharing their information.

Best