[TYPES] Diamond open access, cost and sustainability model: a JOSS example

Gabriel Scherer gabriel.scherer at gmail.com
Sun May 30 12:52:01 EDT 2021

Dear list,

Today I found out about JOSS, the Journal of Open Source Software (
https://joss.theoj.org/ ), an interesting journal in itself, which has a
stunning "Cost and sustainability model" webpage section:
  https://joss.theoj.org/about#costs

For more stunning details, go read their more detailed blog post, "Cost
models for running an online open journal" : )

http://blog.joss.theoj.org/2019/06/cost-models-for-running-an-online-open-journal

(Meanwhile in ACM land, we are still waiting for basic financial
transparency on paper publishing costs -- not that, say, ETAPS or JFP are
doing any better.
LIPIcs describes how they calculated their publishing costs at
https://www.dagstuhl.de/en/publications/lipics/processing-charge/ , and
LMCS ( https://lmcs.episciences.org/ ) is now using a publicly-funded OA
publishing platform, so they may actually have no costs at all.)

Cheers