[TYPES] Diamond open access, cost and sustainability model: a JOSS example

Roberto Di Cosmo roberto at dicosmo.org
Mon May 31 02:00:00 EDT 2021

Hi Gabriel,
    stunning as it may seem, there are over 29.000 diamond open access
journals around the world <https://operas.hypotheses.org/4579> (i.e. free
[as in free beer] to publish and read). A majority of these are in the
humanities, but there are quite a few in STEM too.

Unfortunately, there is no free lunch, and somebody needs to foot the bill
(there is a bill, see "What is a sustainable path to open access
<https://blog.sigplan.org/2020/01/14/what-is-a-sustainable-path-to-open-access/>?"),
which usually means a lot of volunteer work besides reviewing and editing.

I suggest to have a look at this editorial piece of JOT (Journal of Object
Technology) that has been around for some 20 years: it provides quite a bit
of insight

Pierantonio, A., van den Brand, M., & Combemale, B. (2020). Open access all
you wanted to know and never dared to ask. Journal of Object Technology,
19(1) <https://doi.org/10.5381/JOT.2020.19.1.E1>

Cheers

--
Roberto

Computer Science Professor
           (on leave at Inria from IRIF/Université de Paris)

Director
Software Heritage             E-mail : roberto at dicosmo.org
INRIA                            Web : http://www.dicosmo.org
Bureau C328                  Twitter : http://twitter.com/rdicosmo
2, Rue Simone Iff                Tel : +33 1 80 49 44 42
CS 42112
75589 Paris Cedex 12