[TYPES] online conferences should be free (was: global debriefing over our virtual experience of conferences)

Alejandro Díaz-Caro alejandro at diaz-caro.info
Sat Jun 5 14:22:22 EDT 2021

Dear all,

The real costs of online conferences are much less than for physical
ones, that is clear. However, it is not free of cost. The costs may
be:
* Publication costs (for example, LIPIcs charges 60 euros per paper)
* Easychair licence
* Award prize for best paper (if the conference have this kind of award)
* Conference platform costs (Clowdr, Slack, Zoom, GatherTown, etc, all
have an associated cost).

>From these four, the first three are somehow fixed with the number of
accepted papers (which is usually similar from one year to the next).
However the last one is the more difficult to predict, since platforms
such as Clowdr, GatherTown, or Easychar's VCS charge per person
(Easychair's VCS even charges per person per day). So, even if you get
funding from the organising institution or sponsors, making it free of
charge could imply a really big amount of registrations, and you may
pay for those even if they do not show up at the conference.

The solution that we chose at FSCD this year is to make it free of
charge, unless we receive way too many requests (with "way too many"
left undefined yet), surpassing the grants we have got for the
conference. In such a case, we will ask for  a very modest amount
(less than 10 dollars), making it clear that those who cannot pay, can
participate enterally free of charge. So, we are hoping to have a
fully free of charge conference (and quite probably we will), but we
have no idea how many people will register and how much the bill at
the chosen platform may grow.

Of course there are also free platforms, but they are less reliable
and you do not have anyone to ask if things do not work as expected.

Coming from Argentina, I agree that conferences (specially virtual)
should be free of charge or as cheap as they can, as much as they can.
This allows students to participate. I also agree that the slogan "you
will pay more attention to what you have paid" should not condition
our conferences model. Paying attention to talks is a responsibility
(or a choice) of the attendee (and of the speaker to make the talk
interesting, maybe). Putting money in the middle to encourage it is
not the best practice, in my opinion, especially if that could result
in people left behind.

Best,
Alejandro

--