[TYPES] online conferences should be free (was: global debriefing over our virtual experience of conferences)

Talia Ringer tringer at cs.washington.edu
Sat Jun 5 15:56:45 EDT 2021

Since I complained as last year about this, I've joined on the SPLASH
hybridization committee. My understanding so far is:

- there are some hidden costs
- overcharging some people acts as a subsidy for other people who need
scholarships
- planning is hard and everyone is afraid of losing money, so sometimes
people are conservative in budgeting because of this
- sometimes people overspend on platforms that probably aren't necessary

Anyways, I'll forward this to the rest of the committee when we plan the
hybrid fee structure. Hybrid is a bit different since there are still in
person costs, and costs of interaction between the two, but it's still
worth thinking about. Can't help with ICFP though. $100 seems like a lot
even knowing what I know about virtual budgets now.