[TYPES] ETAPS bars Russian researchers from attending

Neel Krishnaswami neelakantan.krishnaswami at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 10:01:09 EST 2022

The ETAPS website (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.etaps.org__;!!IBzWLUs!HUevd2N5Ms-2WYC1sMdH93ef4xxRy4BjZ9KD0I8SPwLGGpv-Rk7u_Emgl9qMMyLGK4ex90o0Cm0$ ) has the following text on its
front page:

> The ETAPS association strongly condemns the war against Ukraine
> launched by President Putin. It is an intolerable breach of
> international law and a crime against humanity, unfolding in Europe
> now. Therefore, until further notice, ETAPS 2022 cannot accept
> registrations from affiliates of Russian research institutions or
> companies.

While I'm as opposed to illegal wars of aggression as anyone else, this
feels like a serious mistake.

There are many Russians (such as Jetbrains corporation) who have taken
the serious personal risk of publically opposing the war, and barring
them from our conferences due to their nationality feels wrong to me.

It may well be that the financial sanctions regime means that
registration payments cannot be accepted, but that is quite different
from barring them personally.

What do the rest of you think?

Best,
Neel