[TYPES] R: ETAPS bars Russian researchers from attending

Marino Miculan marino.miculan at uniud.it
Tue Mar 8 16:31:51 EST 2022

I agree with Sergey.  Maybe some of you have missed the following post from the Russian Rectors' union, fully supporting the invasion of Ukraine. Signed by 185 rectors - I guess, all Russian universities (correct me if I am wrong).

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.rsr-online.ru/news/2022-god/obrashchenie-rossiyskogo-soyuza-rektorov1/__;!!IBzWLUs!FxNpRHKpndUzqHVYfL875gRNUF6LDxgWF3Lmq4IGTMUYwYiZDtAZM0erpyfBXgYOogbNe9OTV8A$

Giving space and visibility to research coming from these universities is tantamaunt to admit that these universities (and hence, their researchers, as far as we know) can support war crimes.

Of course, I am sure that there are many colleagues there against the invasion. But then, we have to distinguish between the responsibility of the single, and that of the institution.  For instance, I would have no problems if a researcher from a Russian university  registers and presents their results at ETAPS (or any other conference) without​ any affiliation.  That would be already a strong signal, as in "I'm here on my own, and I dissociate from my rector's opinions".

best
-marino