[TYPES] ETAPS bars Russian researchers from attending

Jonathan Aldrich jonathan.aldrich at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Mar 9 10:36:53 EST 2022

It appears that ETAPS has taken down this policy, along with a related
statement that was formerly on the Programme page:

"By virtue of participating at ETAPS'22, each participating scientist
explicitly condemns the war against Ukraine launched by President Putin as
an intolerable breach of international law and a crime against humanity"
(was from https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://etaps.org/2022/programme__;!!IBzWLUs!EpsQrWS31b30n9gaZtvqxq7Rq-6qqTlzJ-NVbzT5ftsROBWUU7cwfDXCOxA7gPC83gw-BfS8N2w$ ).

This statement was arguably even more problematic, as it is a kind of
forced speech, and thus incompatible with academic freedom.

It appears both have been replaced with a statement by the organizers,
which--while it could still be viewed as bringing ETAPS into
politics--seems much less problematic.  I thank ETAPS for listening to
community concerns here.  And, I echo the ETAPS organizers in condemning
the invasion of Ukraine and the atrocities that have been committed as part
of it.  I support the government sanctions against Russia (which also
affect attendance at ETAPS), even if I agree with what Neel, Talia, and
others say about academic boycotts.

Best,

Jonathan