[TYPES] R: ETAPS bars Russian researchers from attending

Fritz Henglein fritz at henglein.com
Wed Mar 9 11:07:56 EST 2022

We may very well be in a situation analogous to the Fall of 1939 in
Germany: The outbreak of an eventually humongous war, initiated then by an
invasion of  Poland, now of Ukraine where Ukraine is quite overtly not the
final goal, judging by both open announcements and leaked documents out of
Moscow; a well-organized dictator with a penchant for effective mass
propaganda, enjoying high popularity with a majority determined (or forced
to) endure economic isolation and drinking Ersatzkaffee without significant
protests; and clever politician speculating (not without reason) that the
on-paper-superior Western powers are too indifferent, too afraid or too
divided (or any combination of that) to mount an effective resistance.

And where researchers and academics are pressured to display allegiance --
or to flee the country.  As courageous as the recent joint protest by
Russian academics was (as are the ongoing street protests by the few, but
stunningly courageous, on the streets of Russia), it *sadly* seems, at this
point, that an aloof academic (or sports or cultural) global community will
provide more fuel for fostering the impression that the West is harmless
and afraid than channeling balanced reporting and openness back and forth
across the new bloody iron curtain.

My *gut* reaction was that ETAPS overstepped their mandate by being overtly
political.  On second thought it's hard to see how whatever they -- and
others like us organizing events -- decided could *not* be political.
Maybe this is the time we should lobby our funding agencies to provide
added funding for scientists from Russia and Belarus who may be looking for
interesting positions abroad, such as those who may make it to ETAPS
somehow (in my mind the sole reason for keeping a sneaky door open to
(Bela)Russian participants).

At home we and our neighbors are preparing for the arrival of Ukrainian
refugees. And of Russian and Belarussian refugees.

Fritz