[Unison-hackers] unison more memory efficient than rsync?

Geoffrey Alan Washburn geoffw at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Dec 12 08:17:29 EST 2005

I've been using rsync for uni-directional backups for a while, but
really it has been rather suboptimal because it seems to hold quite a
bit of data in memory when processing a large disk with lots of files.
Has anyone done any comparisons with how unison performs on
uni-directional synchronization memory-wise?  I'm not too concerned
about speed, but rsync chews up so much memory that it causes my iBook
to thrash until finished.

Of course, unison doesn't handle extended attributes yet, but I'm
working on that.