[Unison-hackers] unison more memory efficient than rsync?

Benjamin Pierce bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Dec 12 12:06:18 EST 2005

I regularly synchronize 120Gb disks with, among other things, lots
and lots of mail files.  Update detection is a bit slower than I'd
like because of all the inodes to be scanned, but not too bad.
Others have reported success with much larger replicas.

Unison's overall memory usage scales more or less linearly with the
number of files -- but with a fairly small constant factor.  Its peak
memory usage scales linearly with the size of the largest individual
file.  There have been some reports of problems with really gigantic
(multi-gig) individual files.

I don't know whether the current rsync implementation calculates
block fingerprints only within each file (as Unison does), or across
a whole filesystem.  If it's just per file, then the memory usage may
be comparable, since the core algorithms are very similar.

Regards,

     - Benjamin