[Unison-hackers] unison more memory efficient than rsync?

Geoffrey Alan Washburn geoffw at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Dec 12 14:12:46 EST 2005

Benjamin Pierce wrote:
>> 	So I guess maybe a better question to ask, is when synchronizing those
>> 120GB disks, have you observed how much memory unison uses at a maximum?
>
> No.  What's the easiest way to do this on OSX?

	I think the program Activity Monitor.app will at least tell you how
much memory it is using at a given moment, as will "top" at the
command-line.  There are probably tools to "graph" memory usage of a
specific process, but I'm not sure whether Activity Monitor.app will do
this (I don't have a Mac handy at the moment) and I don't know what the
appropriate command-line tools for this might be.

> (But actually I'm not
> the person to ask, necessarily, since my syncs tend to be fairly modest
> in the amount of changed data and my largest individual files are not
> all that huge.  Perhaps some power users can also post some numbers.)

	That's the thing, I'd like to think my needs are not particularly
aggressive or unusual, generally it isn't that much data that is
changing when I do a backup, probably less than a ten or twenty
megabytes (that's because I don't bother to exclude things like my
browser cache) unless perhaps I just downloaded a set of photos from my
camera.