[Unison-hackers] unison more memory efficient than rsync?

Wout Mertens wmertens.spm at advalvas.be
Tue Dec 13 12:46:26 EST 2005

<offtopic>

On 12 Dec 2005, at 19:01, Geoffrey Alan Washburn wrote:

> 	Well, there is the "rsync transfer algorithm" and there is the rsync
> tool, and I'm pretty sure the problem is in the tool and not the core
> algorithm.  When I use the rsync tool to do a backup, scans the entire
> disk first and then goes about transferring deleting/transferring.  At
> that point the rsync process has begun to consume a few hundred
> megabytes.  As far as I've been able to tell there is no command-line
> switch to make it not scan the entire disk first (for whatever it is
> doing).

You can always do the rsync a directory at a time. E.g. if you had

    # rsync -a / target:/backup

instead do

    # find / -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -exec rsync -aR {} target:/
backup \;

or even

    # find / \! -type d -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -exec rsync -aR {}
target:/backup \;
    # find / -mindepth 2 -maxdepth 2 -exec rsync -aR {} target:/
backup \;

</offtopic>

Wout.