[Unison-hackers] unison stalling on low bandwidth lines with ssh

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Wed Jun 14 11:22:42 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I'm using unison-2.17.1 on Linux (SL10.1) with a couple of different
setups.

When using it over a relatively low-bandwidth DSL line via ssh over VPN,
unison often stalls. Sometimes during startup, sometimes, during
'reconceiling changes', but most often at the beginning of or during
transfer. I've read about stalls on the mailing list, but they were
related to execution on Windows.

I attached strace to both the remove server and the local client
processes. While the server was hanging in a select() call, the client
stayed in a select(), poll(), gettimeofday() (AFAIR) loop.
Another ssh connection I was using e.g. for the strace is working fine,
and ping requests are going through w/o problems.

Even after tens of minutes of waiting, nothing changed.

On the next startup behavior is typicall different, but similar, i.e. it
stalls again, but at a differnt point of time.

Is this a known bug, fixed in SVN, or could you need more testing? I can
reproduce this pretty solidly, so if you can tell me what do to I would
try to narrow this down.

Thanks

Matthias

--