[Unison-hackers] mac crashes

Stan Seibert volsung at mailsnare.net
Tue Sep 5 12:24:36 EDT 2006

On Sep 5, 2006, at 12:15 PM, Ben Willmore wrote:

> I've been trying to do some very large syncs over the weekend, and
> have finally started running into the random crashes that Benjamin
> mentioned.  They are particular to the Mac GUI and appear to occur
> randomly (syncs can go for anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour, I
> would estimate).  I was unable to do my sync and resorted to rsync.

I ran into the same problem, and used the "Install command line tool"
menu option in the Unison menu.  Then I could at least do my sync
with "unison -ui text" at the Terminal.

> 2. I would really like to fix this.  There are two problems.
>
> -- First, running within gdb/XCode debugger doesn't provide any useful
> information about (or ability to manipulate) the OCaml side of things.
>  Can anyone suggest any debugging tools/techniques that I might use?
>
> -- Second, the crashes seem to be entirely random.  Can anyone provide
> testcases that produce reliable or frequent crashes?

I haven't found a good test case either, though it appears (to my
unscientific memory) to be correlated with how badly I needed the
data copied...  :)

---
Stan Seibert