[Unison-hackers] Unicode names on Windows

Patrice Espié patrice.espie at art-de-france-export.com
Sun Jun 15 09:31:56 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I know that this discussion about Unicode characters in file name is an old
one, but I can't figure the problem is still alive ...
So please, just tell me: Am I wrong with my usage of Unison (2.27.57) on my
computers here ? (France / China, Ubuntu / Windows XP, and of course files
Chinese characters in files ...)

Because now, I'm disappointed: no freeware really works for doing
bidirectional synchronization between Linux and Windows ??? (this does not
mean that commercial ones can do it ...) Unison is very good, but this
enormous bug on Windows (it does not "see" files with Chinese chars in file
name) make me think it's not usable for me ... and No, I can't ask my users
to stop using Chinese chars in files ... computers should stay a tool, not a
task ;)

Does this problem will be corrected in Unison ? I guess this comes from
OCaml language ? (which I don't know). Why not to translate Unison in java,
for example ? (jUnison ...) Many portable concern should disappear (even if
some should stay).

Thanks
--
Patrice