[Unison-hackers] Unicode names on Windows

Benjamin Pierce bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu
Sun Jun 15 11:48:53 EDT 2008

> I know that this discussion about Unicode characters in file name
> is an old one, but I can't figure the problem is still alive ...
> So please, just tell me: Am I wrong with my usage of Unison
> (2.27.57) on my computers here ? (France / China, Ubuntu / Windows
> XP, and of course files Chinese characters in files ...)
>
> Because now, I'm disappointed: no freeware really works for doing
> bidirectional synchronization between Linux and Windows ??? (this
> does not mean that commercial ones can do it ...) Unison is very
> good, but this enormous bug on Windows (it does not "see" files
> with Chinese chars in file name) make me think it's not usable for
> me ... and No, I can't ask my users to stop using Chinese chars in
> files ... computers should stay a tool, not a task ;)
>
> Does this problem will be corrected in Unison ? I guess this comes
> from OCaml language ? (which I don't know). Why not to translate
> Unison in java, for example ? (jUnison ...) Many portable concern
> should disappear (even if some should stay).

Not from the OCaml language itself, but from the fact that, when we
started Unison, OCaml had no internationalization libraries.  It does
now, and it should be possible for someone to fix Unison to use them,
but it is a nontrivial amount of work and no one is signed up to do
it at the moment.

Rewriting Unison in Java might be an interesting project, but it
would be a *really* nontrivial amount of work.

Best,

     - Benjamin