[Unison-hackers] history of Unison?

Benjamin Pierce bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu
Thu Nov 27 10:51:18 EST 2008

Hi Alan,

Here's what I recall -- others can fill in any details I miss...

1994ish: BCP, having overwritten files the wrong direction between
laptop and server for the n+1th time, pounds fist on desk and says,
"It can't be that hard to write a file synchronizer..."  First attempt
written as a shell script that weekend.

1995ish: Cedric Fournet and BCP write a more serious synchronizer with
a proper user interface, in Pict.  (This was the largest program ever
written in Pict.  Was a lot of fun. :-)

1996-97: Sundar Balasubramaniam and BCP write a new tool called "snc",
in Java, duplicating the functionality of the Pict version.  It works,
basically, but is hampered by a multitude of shortcomings in Java
implementations available at the time.

1998-2001: Trevor Jim proposes building a new synchronizer
implementation, using OCaml and focusing on cross-platform issues
(Windows to Unix).  Trevor and BCP are soon joined by Jerome Vouillon,
who adds rocket power to the implementation effort.  The current
codebase grew directly out of this one.  The name Unison started here.

2001-now: Big contributions by many more people, including Alan
Schmitt, Malo Denielou, Zhe Yang, Sylvain Gommier, Norman Ramsey, Ben
Willmore, Jacques Garrigue, and Matthieu Goulay.

Best,

     - Benjamin