[Unison-hackers] Asymmetric DSL and large files

Stefan Goldmann stefan.goldmann at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 17 08:41:17 EST 2009

Hello everyone,

I've asked this question at the users list already, but we couldn't find
an answer, so here it goes again.

I have a large file, about 200MB, which I want to sync between home and
work computer. My internet at home is ADSL, 50kbyte/s upload and
350kbyte/s download, my internet at work is 100MBit/s in both directions.

When I trigger syncing these files from my home computer,  and the file
has been changed on the work computer, then the following happens:
Unison states "Propagating changes" and thats it. Nothing more happens
for a couple of minutes, and after that I aborted the process. I didn't
even get the percentage display for the progress.

A look into the network monitor revealed, that for the "Propagating
changes" stage, Unison used the complete upload bandwidth of 50kbyte/s,
whereas the larger download direction wasn't utilized at all.

Is this how it is supposed to be? Am I getting something wrong? In my
eyes it should be no problem to determine the parts that have been
changed the other way round.

I hope my problem's explanation is somehow clear enough. Have a nice
weekend,
Stefan