[Unison-hackers] Move Unison to Git

Sylvain Le Gall sylvain at le-gall.net
Wed Feb 9 12:59:06 EST 2011

On 09-02-2011, Pascal Bach <pascal.bach at epfl.ch> wrote:
>> I must admit I'm not too excited about moving Unison to a different
>> version control system.  We've done it twice before, and each time it
>> took two or three full days of fiddling before everything was
>> completely working again.  (It's not just a matter of moving the
>> sources: the VCS is also involved in the version numbering mechanism,
>> the procedure for remembering what's changed for inclusion in release
>> messages, the mechanism for building and exporting new releases, ...)
>
> I have seen that the version numbering is strongly related to the SVN
> revision and it is true this would no longer be possible with git. I
> understand you concerns.
> So we probably don't need to switch revision control. But what do you
> think about setting ub an issue tracker? Currently the bugs are
> tracked either on the mailing list or in different buck trackers like
> the ones from Debian. I think it would be a good idea to have a
> central point where the patches and issues are collected.

On the OCaml Forge, you can keep SVN (and import history) and setup an
issue tracker.

I must admit that -- with my Debian packager hat -- I would gladly
welcome an issue tracker. This will help to forward upstream a lot of
bugs. Most of the time, I need to forward a bug from the Debian BTS and
just don't do it, because I have no time to discuss it on the mailing
list. The mailing list also doesn't provide a pragmatic way to know if
the bug is closed or not...

>> If there are active maintainers / compilers of Unison distributions
>> who feel that they could do their jobs more effectively with commit
>> rights to the main SVN repository, just let me know and we can make
>> that happen.
>
> It would be interesting to hear what version control the packagers use
> and if not SVN how you solve the problem that the program version
> numbering depends on SVN. If you are packager please let us know how
> you do it.

You can easily manage commit rights (just as any forge in fact) on the
OCaml Forge, by adding people to the project.

Cheers,
Sylvain Le Gall
--
My company: http://www.ocamlcore.com