[Unison-hackers] Move Unison to Git

Pascal Bach pascal.bach at epfl.ch
Wed Feb 9 12:05:23 EST 2011

> I must admit I'm not too excited about moving Unison to a different version control system.  We've done it twice before, and each time it took two or three full days of fiddling before everything was completely working again.  (It's not just a matter of moving the sources: the VCS is also involved in the version numbering mechanism, the procedure for remembering what's changed for inclusion in release messages, the mechanism for building and exporting new releases, ...)

I have seen that the version numbering is strongly related to the SVN
revision and it is true this would no longer be possible with git. I
understand you concerns.
So we probably don't need to switch revision control. But what do you
think about setting ub an issue tracker? Currently the bugs are
tracked either on the mailing list or in different buck trackers like
the ones from Debian. I think it would be a good idea to have a
central point where the patches and issues are collected.

> If there are active maintainers / compilers of Unison distributions who feel that they could do their jobs more effectively with commit rights to the main SVN repository, just let me know and we can make that happen.

It would be interesting to hear what version control the packagers use
and if not SVN how you solve the problem that the program version
numbering depends on SVN. If you are packager please let us know how
you do it.

Best
Pascal