[Unison-hackers] A rant about problems with dropbox -- thank you Unison!

Ryan Newton newton at mit.edu
Wed Feb 23 16:34:04 EST 2011

Great!  I spoke too soon.  I was out of date -- I should have searched
and I'd have seen all those messages about fsmonitor.py ;-)...

Thanks,
   -Ryan

P.S.  The HEAD isn't building for me right this second, but is the
state of affairs still as laid out in the manual.  Namely, that the
implementation polls a watchfile every few seconds:

    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/download/releases/beta/unison-manual.html

Is there a reason that it polls and then sleeps for a few seconds?  If
the watchfile were a pipe couldn't the unison process just do blocking
reads against it to achieve better latency?  (Usually I use "-repeat
1" when I'm editing on one machine and compiling on another.)