[Unison-hackers] [unison-svn] r476 - in trunk/src: . lwt ubase uimacnew09 uimacnew09/uimacnew.xcodeproj

Steve Kalkwarf steve at kalkwarf.com
Mon Jul 18 16:05:09 EDT 2011

>> but I'm wondering how useful it would be:
>> why not do a text UI sync in this case?
>
> The GUI makes it easier to track the progress of synchronization, but I'd like to be able to walk away from a series of syncs (between different machines).

This is a pretty trivial amount of Cocoa code, but I am not able to build trunk on my Lion dev box.

First off, the Makefile falls over if there are two Xcode projects in the PWD. I patched that up, then took a few minutes to wonder why there are three(?!) 'uimac' directories, with four Xcode projects among them?

Which one is the correct/current one? Can we kill the rest of them, so I don't have to ask again?

Second, the Growl framework checked in with what I thought was the correct project (uimacnew/uimacnew.xcodeproj), isn't a current Growl framework, so it won't link against a 64-bit application. That was easy enough to update in my sandbox, but maybe it should be a manual dependency, instead of checked in to the Unison tree?

Then, there are problems with the default Lion toolchain, where you can't target OSes prior to 10.6, or use IBPlugins compiled for the old Interface Builder. I crowbarred that family of issues locally, since the requested changes shouldn't have any Lion (or even Snow Leopard) dependent code. But that's not a long term solution.

What finally derailed me is almost certainly a problem with my setup:

Ld build/Default/Unison.app/Contents/MacOS/Unison normal x86_64
    cd /Users/kalkwarf/RandomSource/unison/trunk/src/uimacnew
    setenv MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.6
    /Developer/usr/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2 -arch x86_64 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk -L/Users/kalkwarf/RandomSource/unison/trunk/src/uimacnew/build/Default -F/Users/kalkwarf/RandomSource/unison/trunk/src/uimacnew/build/Default -F/Users/kalkwarf/RandomSource/unison/trunk/src/uimacnew -filelist /Users/kalkwarf/RandomSource/unison/trunk/src/uimacnew/build/uimacnew.build/Default/uimac.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/Unison.LinkFileList -mmacosx-version-min=10.6 -L/usr/local/lib/ocaml -lunix -lthreadsnat -lstr -lbigarray -lasmrun -framework Cocoa -framework Security -framework Growl -framework ExceptionHandling /Users/kalkwarf/RandomSource/unison/trunk/src/uimacnew/../unison-blob.o -o /Users/kalkwarf/RandomSource/unison/trunk/src/uimacnew/build/Default/Unison.app/Contents/MacOS/Unison
ld: library not found for -lstr
Command /Developer/usr/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2 failed with exit code 1

but I see str.* in my /usr/local/lib/ocaml directory:

/usr/local/lib/ocaml/str.a
/usr/local/lib/ocaml/str.cma
/usr/local/lib/ocaml/str.cmi
/usr/local/lib/ocaml/str.cmx
/usr/local/lib/ocaml/str.cmxa
/usr/local/lib/ocaml/str.mli

so I'm a little lost here. (for completeness, I installed ocaml with the "brew" package manager)

If someone can straighten me out, I'll poke at the GUI, and add the quit feature. Until then, I'm stuck. :-)

Steve