[Unison-hackers] [unison-svn] r476 - in trunk/src: . lwt ubase uimacnew09 uimacnew09/uimacnew.xcodeproj

Benjamin C. Pierce bcpierce at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Jul 18 17:06:46 EDT 2011

I can address some of these (but not, unfortunately, the last)...

>>> First off, the Makefile falls over if there are two Xcode projects in the PWD. I patched that up, then took a few minutes to wonder why there are three(?!) 'uimac' directories, with four Xcode projects among them?

> Which one is the correct/current one? Can we kill the rest of them, so I don't have to ask again?

We've been accumulating variants of the Cocoa GUI for a few years.  I believe the uimac09 version is the best.

I guess if that one seems to be working we could kill off the others now.

> Second, the Growl framework checked in with what I thought was the correct project (uimacnew/uimacnew.xcodeproj), isn't a current Growl framework, so it won't link against a 64-bit application. That was easy enough to update in my sandbox, but maybe it should be a manual dependency, instead of checked in to the Unison tree?

Maybe.  But if we can save a step in the build process, that's nice.

> Then, there are problems with the default Lion toolchain, where you can't target OSes prior to 10.6, or use IBPlugins compiled for the old Interface Builder. I crowbarred that family of issues locally, since the requested changes shouldn't have any Lion (or even Snow Leopard) dependent code. But that's not a long term solution.

Version dependencies have been a regular issue.  I think we don't need to support <10.6 any more, if that makes things easier.

> What finally derailed me is almost certainly a problem with my setup:
>
> Ld build/Default/Unison.app/Contents/MacOS/Unison normal x86_64
>    cd /Users/kalkwarf/RandomSource/unison/trunk/src/uimacnew
>    setenv MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.6
>    /Developer/usr/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2 -arch x86_64 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk -L/Users/kalkwarf/RandomSource/unison/trunk/src/uimacnew/build/Default -F/Users/kalkwarf/RandomSource/unison/trunk/src/uimacnew/build/Default -F/Users/kalkwarf/RandomSource/unison/trunk/src/uimacnew -filelist /Users/kalkwarf/RandomSource/unison/trunk/src/uimacnew/build/uimacnew.build/Default/uimac.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/Unison.LinkFileList -mmacosx-version-min=10.6 -L/usr/local/lib/ocaml -lunix -lthreadsnat -lstr -lbigarray -lasmrun -framework Cocoa -framework Security -framework Growl -framework ExceptionHandling /Users/kalkwarf/RandomSource/unison/trunk/src/uimacnew/../unison-blob.o -o /Users/kalkwarf/RandomSource/unison/trunk/src/uimacnew/build/Default/Unison.app/Contents/MacOS/Unison
> ld: library not found for -lstr
> Command /Developer/usr/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2 failed with exit code 1
>
> but I see str.* in my /usr/local/lib/ocaml directory:
>
> /usr/local/lib/ocaml/str.a
> /usr/local/lib/ocaml/str.cma
> /usr/local/lib/ocaml/str.cmi
> /usr/local/lib/ocaml/str.cmx
> /usr/local/lib/ocaml/str.cmxa
> /usr/local/lib/ocaml/str.mli
>
> so I'm a little lost here. (for completeness, I installed ocaml with the "brew" package manager)
>
> If someone can straighten me out, I'll poke at the GUI, and add the quit feature. Until then, I'm stuck. :-)

Sorry -- don't know about this one.  (Although I'm a happy OSX user, I've never bothered to get very familiar with intricacies of Cocoa development...)

    - Benjamin