[Unison-hackers] how to compile unison for use in OS X <-> Linux environment (guideline for the unexperienced)

Georg Hundegger georg.hundegger at kabsi.at
Wed May 13 18:26:38 EDT 2020

There might be several peopl who'd like to sync data between OS X and
Linux using Unison.

While a compiled version of Unison for OS-X can be found on github,
there is no compatible compiled version available for Linux. (At least I
couldn't find one)
This is a big/huge obstacle for the less experienced.

As I have used and loved Unison for nearly two decades I couldn't stand
nor accept a non-working situation after upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04.

So I underwent the adventure to compile it myself.
Yes, it finally turns out to be a simple procedure - but it took a lot
of effort to come to that point... To make it easier for the fellow men
please find attached my little step by step guideline.

Suggestions:
* I am willing to adapt and integrate this little docu in an URL of your
choice or recommendation - but it might be easier for you to just
copy/paste it...

* It would be great if the assets section in
	https://github.com/bcpierce00/unison/releases
would provide a set of *compatible* binaries.
Feel free to add attached binary for Linux AMD64

I hope you don't feel bothered by this mail, in case you do I appologize
for any inconvenience this mail might cause.

Kind regards
Georg