[Unison-hackers] CI target review

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Nov 16 13:30:56 EST 2021

There's a PR to add a static build flavor for Linux for a particular
ocaml version.  I don't really understand why yet, and askeed in the PR.

It isn't sustainable to add every flavor that anyone might want now, and
it really wouldn't be if github had more than their very limited
platform set.   But that doesn't mean anything in particular should be
omitted.

Looking at the list, we are building back to ocaml 4.01 for macos,
linux, windows.    I am inclined to say that ocaml before 4.08 is
ancient, and drop all <4.08 builds on everything except linux (because
we should build at least once, on ocaml versions that are not excluded
as unsupported by the README-etc).

Does anybody think ocaml before 4.08 is generally useful?

Beyond that, there is one build on ubuntu "musl+static+flambda" and I
don't understand
 * exactly what that is
 * why it is built for CI purposes
 * why the ocaml version is two micro revs behind
 * why it's only for 4.10 for CI purposes
 * who it is useful to for running purposes
 * why the other builds aren't useful for those people