[Unison-hackers] Multi-user, single UID ideas for Unison

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Tue Oct 31 10:36:58 EDT 2023

On Oct 30, 2023, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:

>   2) I think it would be a good thing to be able to, and perhaps by
>   default to do so, change the location of the ar/fp files from
>   ~/.unison to $SYNCROOT/.unison or someplace like that.

[...]

> It would be useful to hear if people agree that (2) would be a good
> thing

I wouldn't like mixing the configuration files with the rest of the
files, for a few reasons:

- My roots are specified in my .prf files, so unison wouldn't know
  where to find them until it has already found them.

- I like having config files in one place, making it easy to configure
  multiple roots at the same time.

- I use the "include" feature of config files to share some parts,
  and this would be more awkward if config files were distributed.

Also, I'm not sure this change would be needed to allow for chroot.

- If the chroot is done before unison reads the config file, then it
  will automatically look in the subtree, so it might just work.

- Alternatively, unison could read the config file before executing
  the chroot.

Dan