[Unison-hackers] Multi-user, single UID ideas for Unison

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Oct 31 12:02:16 EDT 2023

Dan Christensen <jdc at uwo.ca> writes:

> I wouldn't like mixing the configuration files with the rest of the
> files, for a few reasons:

Interesting points and thanks for commenting.

I was actually not even thinking about config files (partially because I
do not use them at all!), and meant to be referring to the ar/fp files
that are specific to a root (and the corresponding remote one).

Would the ar/fp files moving, with the config file location not
changing, be ok with you?

> Also, I'm not sure this change would be needed to allow for chroot.
>
> - If the chroot is done before unison reads the config file, then it
>   will automatically look in the subtree, so it might just work.

Yes, except that the config would need to be in
/path/to/root/home/$USER/.unison instead of /home/$USER/.unison (roughly
of course).

> - Alternatively, unison could read the config file before executing
>   the chroot.

Yes.  This is fairly common in things that chroot, to read what they
want from the outside, and then chroot for operations.