[Icfp04-discuss] simulator speed

Rolf learr at rogers.com
Sun Jun 6 20:49:22 EDT 2004

Jeff Franklin wrote:

>Just curious, how long does it take your simulators to run through 100000
>iterations?  It's taking mine about 2 hours (on a P4 3GHz), so I've just been
>running through 5000 or 10000 and seeing how it does, which only takes about
>10 or 20 minutes (respectively).  Is this normal?  Does everyones simulator
>run this slow?  All my map/ant lookups are O(1), and I have all the C++
>compiler optimizations on (-O3 -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer), and I
>turned off all the output.
>
>Thanks,
>-Jeff

Using Java, with a GUI Blow-by-blow Simulation that looks sommething
like the one on the contest home page, it takes about 2 minutes to run a
full simulation.

That is in the debugger too.....

Honestly, I am not trying to yank your chain.... I'll attach a screen
shot if you want... ;-)

The simulator is about the only thing I have going great right now ;-)
My ants are really messed up in their heads....

Rolf