[TYPES] stricter moderation...?

Geoffrey Alan Washburn geoffw at cis.upenn.edu
Thu Dec 22 14:56:32 EST 2005

    "Use the source Luke" :-)   http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/

> One piece of anecdotal evidence that more moderation would be better
> (for me) is that I discovered a few months ago that, when messages
> arrives via Types, my instinctive reaction was annoyance rather than
> interest ("Oh, here's more spam...").  Since then I've been sending
> Types stuff to a separate mailbox that I look at only rarely.  This
> seems a shame.

    I would have to agree a great majority of the mail I get from TYPES
these days is filed without being read.  I just did a quick analysis of
approximately the last month's messages (before this thread started) and
found that there were 38 messages total.  Nine of the messages were not
announcements -- all discussion on the semantics of intersection types.
Of the remaining 29 messages, which were various sorts of announcements,
9 mentioned the word "type" in a way other than the header mailman adds
to messages.  The remaining 20 messages did not mention the word "type",
though a few did mention other keywords that might have made them
eligible in a more comprehensive study.

> Cutting down on the number of random announcements might also help
> people feel encouraged to post questions and start discussions (to
> keep the volume from going too low :-).

    Indeed.  I would agree with Eijiro that the signal is too low at the
moment.

--
[Geoff Washburn|geoffw at cis.upenn.edu|http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~geoffw/]